Colorado State basketball players not allowed to participate in national anthem
COLORADO — Colorado State University officials said Saturday they have decided not to allow a group of its players to participate during the national anthem in protest of police brutality.
The school announced Friday that the football team and its players would not participate in a planned ceremony to honor slain African-American men and women in Charlotte, North Carolina, who were killed by police last month.
The decision comes less than a week after the school announced it would honor the men and woman who died in Charlotte during protests against the death of a police officer.
It was unclear what prompted the university to withdraw the players’ participation, which had been scheduled for Friday.
The school did not say when it would announce the cancellation.
The Colorado State football team has played in the NCAA Division III Men’s Basketball Tournament twice this season, winning the conference title in 2016 and 2017.
The university has hosted two games, a loss in the semifinals in 2018 and a victory in the championship game in 2019.
The university has not responded to multiple requests for comment.
In a statement, the university said that it “has received numerous requests for information on the situation, including the details regarding the students’ participation in the ceremony and the impact of the decision on their academic endeavors.”
The school added that it is working to identify a date and venue for the players to perform at.
It did not identify a specific person who would be responsible for the decision.
University spokesman Tim Dolan said the school has “a long tradition of honoring our fellow men and boys in our community, particularly those who have fallen on hard times.”
In 2017, the football program was one of eight colleges in the country to boycott the NCAA men’s basketball tournament because of the treatment of police officers.
A federal lawsuit was filed by the National Association of Black Journalists against the NCAA and the university, alleging that the university has systematically discriminated against the media.
The NCAA has since suspended the NCAA Men’s Division I Championship Tournament for three weeks.